Christening at Hollow Tree
Hidden in the farmlands of central Tasmania is the beautiful stone church of St James, Montacute. On 11 January a family Christening took place.
The infant was Poppy Sarah Iris Hallett, daughter of Richard and Amy Hallett, and seventy relatives and friends were present to celebrate Poppy's special day. She was wearing a beautiful hand embroidered Christening gown, that was over one hundred years old and an heirloom in the Francombe family.
St James was built by original settler Capt. William Langdon, RN, MLC and consecrated by the first bishop of Tasmania the Rt Rev. T.F. Nixon, DD, on 11 November 1857. The lovely font at St James was carved from a single piece of sandstone.
The Rev. W.M. Hesketh was rector of Bothwell at that time, and St James is still part of the Parish of the Southern Midlands, where the Rev. Bruce Mitchell is parish priest.
The Hallett family has had the care of St James since 1897, and Poppy is the fifth generation. Services are held from time to time or as required.
Visitors may ring Des and Dianne Hallett at Llanberis 6286 3234 if they would like to visit St James.