St Luke's Church, Richmond on Time Again
The restoration of the St Luke's tower clock was finalised on Friday, 8 October when expert clockmaker Andrew Markerink and his assistant Brendan Dwyer completed the assembly of this historic timepiece.
The clock was one of six turret clocks manufactured by London clockmaker Thwaites and Reed in 1828 for consignment to the fledgling Colony for use on public buildings. Commonly referred to as the 'Richmond Town Clock', it was installed at St Luke's in 1922, having first been used in the original St David's Church at the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets, Hobart.
The clock was not installed in the new St David's Cathedral when it was constructed in 1874 and it gathered dust for some fifty years before being given to St Luke's in 1922 by the Dean and the Cathedral Chapter.
Chairman of the Restoration Working Group, Mr Kerry Bowerman, reports that the project has been funded by a significant contribution of $7500 from the Tasmanian Bicentenary Program, a donation of $3000 from Clarence City Council and a successful appeal to the wider Richmond community.
The project has created such interest in the Richmond community that a group of some thirty residents have formed a Clockwinders Guild and a roster to attend to the twice-weekly winding of the clock. The clock restoration project has been undertaken in conjunction with a major restoration of the Church building, including the strengthening of the roof, repairs to stonework and plasterwork, and painting.
A service of Celebration and Thanksgiving for the restoration works and the Commissioning of the Clockwinders will be held at 3.00pm on Sunday, 12 December in the presence of Bishop John Harrower.
by Kerry Bowerman